Where the heck… ?
„Where the heck… ?“ can be found on Twitter: @wheretheheck_ch. „Where the heck… ?“ is an experiment by Ralph Straumann, centred around Twitter bots, open data, cartography, automated map-making and Python programming.
What is it about?
The premise is very simple:
- From time to time, @wheretheheck_ch tweets out a vague excerpt of a map from a place somewhere in Switzerland.
- Then you come in: Guess what location is shown in the map. Feel free to guess silently. Or, if you want to show your geography expertise publicly: reply to @wheretheheck_ch’s tweet.
- Some time later, @wheretheheck_ch will reply to the original tweet and reveal the correct solution.
(FAQs might grow in the future)
- At initiation, the project features two different map types: one with settlement areas, water bodies and forests, one with a shaded relief. Update as of Jan 20, 2017: the project features four(ish) map types:
- settlement areas, water and forests
- houses, roads, railways, water, forests
- two different shaded reliefs
- Basemap data: OpenStreetMap © OpenStreetMap contributors
- Toponym data, settlement area data: Bundesamt für Landestopografie (Art. 30 GeoIV)
- Relief data: EBP
- Map styles: Ralph Straumann, EBP
Have fun playing and good luck!